Tuesday, August 30, 2011

NEWS FLASH!!! I've become "CHOPPED LIVER!"

My kids are 6 and 4 and it's OFFICIAL..they already want to spend more time with their friends than their mom (sniff, sniff)...
First Day of School (Jake 6, Baylie 4)
The Whole Crew
People always say "they grow up so fast", but it's so hard to believe they will ever grow up when they are babies. Especially in the middle of the night, when you are working on 2 1/2 hours of sleep total over the past 3-4 days and they are crying for HOURS AND HOURS and you can't figure out why or what they need. I remember sitting in my closet, not too long after I had Jake, wondering when his REAL PARENTS were coming to pick him up. I had no business raising another human being, especially in my sleep-deprived state (did I mention I watched Oprah daily and cried like a baby every time?) I so desperately wanted someone to come to my rescue and take him for a few hours so I could get some much needed rest, but at the same time (and I blame this on crazy pregger hormones) I wouldn't allow him out of my sight for more than 3 seconds at a time...yes, I was a loon, but at least I can admit it. 

Then there are the "in-between" months/years when they throw a fit if you walk out of their line of sight (I mean seriously, MOMS HAVE TO USE THE BATHROOM TOO!). Both my kids were like this. On one hand, it's kind of nice to have someone LOVE YOU THAT MUCH. On the other hand, when you really need a night out with adults IT STINKS! Especially as a mom (in my opinion) because I don't know about you, but I believe moms have this primal urge to always protect their offspring and it seriously BROKE MY HEART to see them cry when I left them with someone else (grandparents first, preschool next and eventually a babysitter). I truly admire women who are able to go out & enjoy some alone time when their babies are young, but I couldn't leave Jake alone until he was almost 6 months old and even then I went to a house party three doors down, left him with the grandparents, was only gone for 30 minutes and probably called every 5 minutes to check up on him/them - I know, I was pathetic.

OK, so my point is this, now that they are "ALL GROWN UP" they would rather spend EVERY SECOND with their friends! I have turned into the proverbial "CHOPPED LIVER" - in fact, sometimes Baylie even calls me that when I remind (beg) her to give me a kiss before she darts off across the street to hang out with her BFF!

Back in the day, when they were in their terrible twos/threes/early 4's/5's and babyhood) I would've given anything for them to want to spend a moment apart from me. But now, I have to admit, it's kind of sad...I mean, if they feel this way now, what are the teenage years going to be like??? Never mind, I DON'T WANT TO KNOW!

One of my dear friends drove her son to college over the weekend and she is SUPER SAD - if you've seen TOY STORY 3, you know what I mean. It's just so crazy, because I remember driving away with my friend Kathy after H.S. graduation (not very long ago :), headed for UF, waving goodbye to my mom, who I loved dearly...and all I could think about was how excited I was to start a new chapter in my life (or maybe just the party we were headed to with the older college guys - ha!)...I had NO IDEA how sad my mom probably was to see me go (ok, maybe she wasn't, I was a bit of a handful, but for the sake of this story, let's just pretend)...

Now that I'm a parent, it's becoming ALL TOO REAL, TOO FAST. I want to freeze them in time so that they'll always love me like they did when they were babies...

For now, the one thing that keeps me going, is that at the very least, I know for sure, I will always be their FIRST LOVE!

Jake - 2 weeks (smiling b/c he's dreaming of Mommy!)

Baylie (7 months - all hopped up on caffeine, wondering when I'm going to finally let her wear lipstick!)



1 comment:

  1. Those last two pictures got me. Oh to freeze time. I realize mine are 5 & 3 but already it's going too fast!!! I have a whole new respect for my mom after motherhood!! LOL

    ReplyDelete