Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Still looking for that perfect gift?

Here it is again, 3am and I can't sleep. No, surprisingly, my mind is not filled with visions of sugar-plums, instead it's filled with visions of all the shopping I still need to do in the next few days as the final countdown to Christmas marches on. It goes without saying (although I'm going to say it anyways) that getting the perfect for gift for everyone on your Christmas list can be a very daunting task. Especially now that the kids are out of school and it's nearly impossible to shop without losing your ever-loving mind. I've already lost my mind, so this is an especially tricky task. So in the hopes of helping even one sleep-deprived mom like myself out there cross something off her list I thought I would share a few fun and "out-of-the-ordinary" places I've managed to pick up some great gifts for my family that you won't find at TOYS 'R US OR TARGET (you know you just said it with a french accent).

Two of my favorite places to find creative gifts for the kids: Joann's and Michael's. They always have great arts & crafts gifts that kids just love. Plus, I love their selection of Crayola products, a lot of things you won't find in the "big box" stores.

The BOOK STORE...ah, I can smell it now...I LOVE BOOK STORES. I seriously could spend an entire day perusing the aisles reading all the book titles and convincing myself that one day I will visit every country, make every recipe and educate myself on every famous person on the covers of those books. The kids section is amazing, chock-full of unique gifts for kids of all ages, again, stuff you won't find at the big name stores. Plus, I love the section up front near the registers with all the fun stuff for stocking stuffers....FYI, try to find a mom-and-pop bookstore, they always have some of the coolest stuff. Since I live in Florida, I especially love finding historical books all about my state and hometown, just fascinating!

Cracker Barrel, yeppers you read it right, Cracker Barrel. Don't knock it til you try it. They have a great selection of gifts for young and old alike...from old fashioned candy, to unusual knick knacks for the home to a kid section that is out of this world. It's like a blast from the past and the best part, most of the toys DON'T require batteries and they aren't TWIST-TIED onto the cardboard packaging (ugh, I hate that!). I swore this Christmas I wasn't going to buy anything that took more than 2 minutes to remove from the box, any longer than that and if you're kids are anything like mine, they've lost interest. I picked up that big 'ol checkers game for the kids this afternoon. Hopefully they'll love playing it just as much at home as they do there...we'll see :)...Oh yeah, the bonus to shopping at Cracker Barrel is you can grab a yummy meal after you've worked up an appetite from all the shopping!

So that's it...at least that's all I can think of right now. I hope this helps you with your holiday gift hunt. I know I'm always looking for new places to get the perfect gift for everyone on my list, so please, by all means, if you have any fun "out-of-the-way" shopping secrets you'd like to share I'd love to hear about them.

From one exhausted mom to another - Happy Holidays!!! And to me a goodnight, a goodnight sleep that is...or should I say a goodmorning sleep since it's now 4:30am...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz






Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha great ideas!
    Love your blogs!

    ReplyDelete