Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Heaven to my ears...

So the other day I was helping my 6 year old son Jake with his homework. We were online reading a book on "RAZ KIDS." In case you're not familiar, it's a wonderful website approved by our local school board that's filled with ebooks for all reading abilities. Kids simply log on, read books, take quizzes, win virtual rewards and keep working their way up to the next level...

So the reason this post is titled "Heaven to my ears" is because of a question Jake asked me while we were reading one of these ebooks titled "Healthy Me" (at least I think that was the title, if memory serves me, which it usually doesn't, but just go with me on this one, the title is not really important)...

In one part of the ebook it explained that you should never take "drugs"...that they were bad for your body...and that's when it happened...

Jake stopped reading and turned to me...looked me right in the eye and said, "Mama (he still calls me mama and it just melts my heart)..."Mama, what are drugs?"

I'll tell you what, it was pure heaven to hear him ask that question. My mind fast-forwarded, visualizing him as a teenager and a grown man and imagined how nice it would be if he never had to know how truly destructive some drugs can be. Don't get me wrong here, I don't want him to be a mama's boy (forever) or a "goody two shoes", I just want him to have an amazing life and I know all too well how quickly drugs can turn a good life into a bad one (for those of you wondering, no, I'm not talking about myself, I've just witnessed too many lives torn apart by drugs and it's just senseless!)

Jake is about to turn 7...and I guess part of the reason why this particular moment and that particular question stuck with me is because he's starting to lose that childhood innocence...he's becoming a "big boy" (sniffle) and as much as we as moms hope, pray and sometimes beg for them to grow up to be strong, independent, happy, healthy adults...it's all happening much too fast for me!


The first time we met - love at first sight! Wrinkles and all - HIS not mine :)


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment